Shri Devendra Patel is a renowned journalist and author of Gujarati Literature for the last 45 years. He is associated with a leading Gujarati daily ‘SANDESH’ published from Ahmedabad for the last 80 years. He is also a Short story writer, Novel writer and a writer of fact based human interest stories. He is an author of 50 books written in Gujarati on Various subjects ranging from fiction to facts and from history to wars.
(2) Born on 20-10-1945 in a strong Gandhian family Shri Devendra Patel received his bachelor degree in Arts fromGujaratUniversity in 1966. He started his career as a journalist with leading newspaper Gujarat Samachar. He became the assistant editor in the same Newspaper and later he joined another leading Newspaper ‘SANDESH.’ He was also a visiting lecturer in the field of Journalism in different colleges of Ahmedabad and Gujarat Samachar acedemy of Journalism.
(3) His popular column ‘KABHI KABHI’ consists the human interest stories based on real life characters. Through his column he has thrown light on the atrocities to women ofIndia. He has forced the society and administration and inspired judiciary to give Justice to the victimized women. In number of cases the Honorable High Court has also initiated suo-moto cases against the criminals after taking the note of his columns. Number of criminals have been sent to Jail for Gangrape and harassment to poor women after he wrote the fact based stories in Newspapers. He has been instrumental for giving justice to women of backward community and of tribal areas through his columns. He has created awareness in the society by raising the issues of women’s rights. He has also created awareness against the vices of Gutka and Drugs through his facts based stories.. He has always encouraged the people with clean image in public life. His writings about Gandhiji, Sardar Patel, Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi have always been appreciated by the young readers.
(4) He has always been instrumental in bringing peace and harmony in the state by writing positive stories of brotherhood between different cast and communities. He commands great respect among every class and religion by virtue of his noble and selfless work.
(5) His contribution in the field of journalism is unprecedented. He is a pioneer in bringing Science, Literature, Agriculture and Human Interest stories in Gujarati News Papers. He has changed the face of Gujarati journalism by new initiatives. Even today he is a role model for many upcoming journalists.
(6) His contribution in the field of literature is precious. He is not only a journalist but also an excellent short story writer. He has written many novels in Gujarati. He has also written plays and scripts for TV Serials and screenplay for Gujarati film. He has been awarded first prize for his book ‘Israel, the land of the Bible’ by Gujarat Sahitya Akadami. He has written history of Patidars, history of Ahmedabad and history of Kutchh. His two books on Gulfwar are considered as an extraordinary description and analysis of recent war inIraq. More than 50 books have been published written by him in the various fields like short stories, facts based stories, novel, history and wars. His own biography ‘AANTARKSHITIJ’ is one of the best and classic work in the field of literature. His books were also released inLondonin a special ceremony held atLondonby Lata Patel the ex. Mayor of Brent (London). The then mayor Bertha Josef and number of MP’s Of British Parliament were also present. Last but not the least he enjoys the huge class of fans not only in Gujarat andIndiabut in many parts of the world.